Beetroot-Jaggery halwa

Honestly I was not happy with the JFI-jaggery announcement by Kay of Towards a Better Tomorrow, as I use jaggery only for chakara pongal (sweet rice) and dont experiment with it at all. But after days of thinking I decided to make beetroot halwa with jaggery. Ive only made carrot halwa in the past so decided to try something new as suggested by kay. I was sure that the method was almost the same, but decided to replace sugar with jaggery. The end result was very tasty and different.

Some more useful information about the goodness of jaggery that I obtained from the net. Jaggery is often used for ayurvedic medicinal purposes.It is very useful for dry cough, cough with sputum, indigestion and constipation. Jaggery has potassium, which conserves the acid balance in cells and combats acids and acetone. It is also rich in iron, and especially recommended for expectant and lac­tating mothers.

I am thinking that from now on I will be using more of jaggery in my dishes, thanks Kay.

Ingredients:

Beetroot (grated) - 2 cups
Jaggery (powdered coarsely) - 1 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Half and Half - 1 cup
Cardomom powder - 1 tsp
Cashews (broken) - 20 pieces
Raisins - 20
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Water - 1 cup

Mehtod:

Boil water in a pan and add the jaggery powder and let it melt (This can be done in the microwave too). Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel and roast the cashews and raisins to a golden color. Remove and keep aside. In the same pan add the remaining tbsp ghee and fry the shredded beetroot for a few minutes. If your'e kitchen is well lit you will notice a change in color. Add the milk and half and half and cook in medium heat till most of the liquid evaporates. Add the jaggery water and cardomom powder and continue stirring till the halwa reached desired consistency.I like mine a little semisolid. Add the roasted cashews and raisins and remove from heat and serve it warm. Remember that the beetroot shrinks so not matter how much quantity you start with the end product is always less. But definitely a small portion of this halwa goes a long way.

Comments

FH said…
Deepz! You are back.Girl, where were you? You came with a bang err..with a wonderful dish.What a color and very creative:))

Did you see my entry to Jihva?:D
Anonymous said…
Hi Deepz:

Thanks for participating in Jihva with this colorful, nutritious entry.

Also thanks for sharing the information of jaggery health benefits.
Deepz said…
Asha: Thanks. I was too busy at work but will be updating more often now. I did see your entry, very creative.

Indira: Thanks for you compliments as well as your week full of jaggery entries.
Anonymous said…
Hi Deepz, wow, this looks wonderful! I just love the deep red color... and must taste delicious with beets and jaggery. I will definitely have to try :)
Deepz said…
Thanks linda. Yes the color is pretty attractive.
Anonymous said…
Beetroot jaggery halwa is a good idea. Nice attractive color.
Thx for sharing!
Deepz said…
Thanks bhargavi.
Anonymous said…
Hi deepa,
Thats a good recipe! BTW, whats half and half!
Amanda said…
Hi Deepa,
I tried this recipe out today, as I had some leftover beets, and it turned out delicious! I omitted the half and half (as I didn't have any) and it still turned out well.
Thanks for a great recipe--I look forward to trying out more soon!
-Amanda
Deepz said…
Thanks Amanda. I guess by omitting half and half you made the dish healthier.
double like..

Popular posts from this blog

Green Blog Project - Summer 2007

Arachu vitta sambar, Kovakkai (tindora) varuval, Podalangai (padval) poriyal

Adai and pudina chutney