Fresh raddish and raddish greens - GBP Entry 2

My parents left last week and now I am back to regular cooking. We've been harvesting a lot of fresh veggies like tomatoes (about 5 lbs every week), mint, curry leaves, spinach, raddish, beans, okra from our very own backyard. I've been using raddish along with fresh spinach to make a simple salad to serve before dinner.

All this while I kept throwing away the raddish greens from my garden. Last week when I spoke to my mom she said that they were healthy and good source of iron too like spinach. So decided to make keerai poriyal (raddish greens subzi). I usually use about 3-4 raddish plants everyday to make my fresh salad. I saved the leaves for a week to make this poriyal.


Raddish Greens Poriyal:

Ingredients:

Raddish leaves (chopped roughly) – 2 cups
Onion (chopped) – ½
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Red chillies – 2 (broken)
Coconut (shredded) – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – as neeeded

Method:
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and red chillies. When the mustard starts to splutter add chopped onions and fry them till they turn translucent. Add the chopped raddish leaves, salt as needed and fry till they are cooked (about 10min). Add shredded coconut and remove from fire. Serve with roti or rice with dal /sambar. This will be my second entry to the GBP - Summer 2007 event.



Simple dinner salad

Ingredients:
Raddish (sliced) - 5
Spinach - a few handful
Lime juice - 2 tbsp
Pepper - as needed
Salt - as needed


Method:

Mix everything in a bowl and enjoy the fresh flavours of summer.


Comments

FH said…
Beautiful Deepz! I got plenty of veggies this year too, will post this month for GBP. We always use green leaves of Radish, Beets, Turnips etc!Looks great, I know it's tasty too.Enjoy the bounty:)
bee said…
deepz, i have documented a whole lot of radish green recipes here.

http://jugalbandi.info/2007/07/radish-rants-part-2/
Sreelu said…
Deepz, beautiful radishes, I never used radish leaves either, wow good to know that they are edible.thanks for the eye opener
Anonymous said…
I cook raddish greens and radishes. Grated raddish with yoghurt with little salt, tamper it with mustard,curry leaves and hing will be a perfect cooling salad for a hot summer day.
Deepz said…
Thanks Asha, Bee & lakshmi for your suggestions. I will defintely try your recipes.

Thanks Sreelu, the greens tasted very good, so do try it.

Popular posts from this blog

Green Blog Project - Summer 2007

Arachu vitta sambar, Kovakkai (tindora) varuval, Podalangai (padval) poriyal

Adai and pudina chutney