Mysore pak

Second on my diwali list was mysore pak. Ive attempted to make this thrice (this being my third attempt) and succeeded only now. It came out well, was soft and tasted exactly like the Krishna sweets mysore pak. The only difference this time was I added ghee very slowly and kept stirring it continuously so that the ghee mixes evenly. It actually took me about 25-30 min of continues stirring (yes I dint do much after that as my hands were hurting). Also note the first time I asked someone about this sweet they said its too complicated and difficult to make. With practice and patience (read attempting many times) it can be mastered. This is my entry to this month's JFI - Diwali treats hosted by Vee of Past, Present and Me.

Ingredients:

Bengal gram flour - 1cup
Sugar - 1cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1.5 cups



Method:

Heat sugar and water in a heavy bottomed vessel (a normal sauce pan is good enough) till one-string consistency is reached. This is not a complicated term, all you have to do is take a drop of the sugar solution and press between your forefinger and thumb. When you pull your fingers a little away from each other, the sugar solution should form a thin line between the fingers. Be careful when you do this as the solution is going to be hot. Even though the solution takes a while to reach the one-string consistency it moves to the next stages very soon so be careful to add the other ingredients at the right time. After this consistency is reached add the besan flour in small batches carefully stirring each time to make sure no lumps are formed. This starts an elaborate stirring process so make sure you are prepared for it. Once all the flour is incorporated start adding ghee again in batches and keep stirring till you see all the ghee being absorbed by the mixture. If you see most of the ghee floating then you have not stirred enough. That was the mistake I made in my first attempt cos I was thinking how could it absorb so much ghee so I stopped stirring. The mysore paks did not turn out to be very soft. Anyway once all the ghee is incorporated pour it onto a greased plate. Cut into desired shapes when it is still a little semisolid and let it cool completely. This is where patience is needed cause I mostly dig into mine before it cools down completely. All of this takes practice so dont loose heart in your first attempt. Also if you miss something and it turns out to be a little hard you can always microwave it and have it warm. If you dont get the right sugar solution stage the mixture might never solidify. So what, you can still serve it as besan halwa and the taste is still the same. Good luck to everyone trying this "so called difficult dessert".

Comments

Anonymous said…
This sweet takes more than one attempt to master, doesn't it?:) But even the failed attempts, they may not look like store-bought versions, but they do taste great.

Both rava laddus and mysore pak look delicious and thanks for participating in JIhva event, Deepz.

Also thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

Subha Deepavali!
Anonymous said…
Hmmm......Mysore pak is my fav. Happy diwali to you & your family !
FH said…
YUM!! I made some too! They are wonderful sweets, Deepz! Hope you had a wonderful Diwali!!
Anonymous said…
Good Work . Looks delciious
Anonymous said…
Looks really delicious Deepz! When I tried it, I didn't get that nice crystalized top like yours and MT's. More practice in store for me! Thanks for sharing the nice detailed instructions, too :)
Deepz said…
indira: yes even i my failed attempts i never throw away stuff. sweets are always delicious in any form or shape.

ss: thanks. im feeling guilty after eating sweets for a week now.

lera: thanks. hope you had a wonderful diwali.

asha: yes my diwali was gr8 as I had a few friends staying with me. hope yours was fun too.

romeo: thanks.

linda: like i mentioned u need a few attempts but once u find the right recipe/method im sure u will master it with no difficulty. thanks for the compliment.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I tried the sweet...It looked exactly like krishna sweets mysore pak, but the taste was different...My mysore pak had the taste of besan in it...It was a new pack of besan that I used...wat could be the reason?It would be great if you could give your suggestions...
Deepz said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deepz said…
Shelly: I am happy to hear that yours turned out like krishna sweets mysore pak. I think the besan needs to be cooked more, for the raw smell to disappear. Try dry roasting the besan flour before adding it to the sugar syrup.
Anonymous said…
Thanks very much from the bottom of my heart to you. I dont have a sweet tooth and have always made snacks and usualy party fare plus other desserts like Bengali desserts, ice creams etc,This is my first attempt at mysore pak and have never even watched anyone make it! But it came out superb, just like the sri krishna sweet texture and taste. I saw your recip at 10:00pm and it looked so inviting and it being Diwali in 2 days, could not resist myself from trying it out.. I am so glad I did though as my kids are gonna be mega happy tomorrow morning ;-)
It is close to 11:00pm now and I can sleep happily now!
Nithya said…
Well, now I know what was my mistake. This is my first time and the taste is awesome but, alas! it remains sooo soft, actually not even near a shape! Anyway. I kept it in the fridge, and lo it became super hard. Oh god! I guess I have many more attempts to go.

Psst: I did not add all the ghee! Now I know. :(
Unknown said…
nice blog,good recipe tips, click the below links to see the video for make mysore pak

Mysore Pak
Mysore Pak recipe
How to make Mysore Pak
Anonymous said…
Nice Article, Totally worth my time spending on this article. Well, we are Bigleagueecommerce.com . Buy Best Gajak in India from us.
Hello, Please do check our sitesweets-packaging-boxes

Popular posts from this blog

Green Blog Project - Summer 2007

Arachu vitta sambar, Kovakkai (tindora) varuval, Podalangai (padval) poriyal

Adai and pudina chutney